Travel Photos

This website is where I post travel photos from my various travels. It is a random sampling of some of my favorite pictures and places, rather that a travelogue type of format. I prefer this site to be a photographic glimpse of places in general. I hope you enjoy. ***NOTE: I don't update this blog frequently any longer. If you'd like to see more of my photos you can check out my Flickr site here: My Travel Photos

Name:
Location: Camano Island, Washington, United States

Saturday, January 01, 2005

One of the best parts of travel to me is breaking away from the tourist hordes, and exploring the "local" side of where I am. I'm not saying don't follow the tourists and skip the guidebook locations. The tourists usually crowd these places for a good reason. The Grand Canyon and the Eiffel Tower are things you must see if you're in the neighborhood. It's just that my vacation isn't complete if I don't find an interesting place with nary a Hawaiian shirt in sight. A case in point was our last trip to London, England. We stayed in the Swiss Cottage area of London. I see you scratching you head, Swiss Cottage? And that's exactly what I found so appealing about staying there. We found it a wonderful, safe neighborhood, with many shops and restaurants. We stayed at the Swiss Cottage Hotel, which was a wonderful historic hotel, two minutes from the Underground. The day we arrived there after a 9 hour flight, my wife took a nap, and I went for a walk around the neighborhood. Come with me on this little photo journey of that walk, and you'll see what I mean about discovering the real character of a place by turning right when the tourists are turning left. This is the London that most tourists never see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home