Travel Photos

This website is where I post travel photos from my various travels. It is a random sampling of some of my favorite pictures and places, rather that a travelogue type of format. I prefer this site to be a photographic glimpse of places in general. I hope you enjoy. ***NOTE: I don't update this blog frequently any longer. If you'd like to see more of my photos you can check out my Flickr site here: My Travel Photos

Name:
Location: Camano Island, Washington, United States

Thursday, July 07, 2005

The London Underground

In light of today's incidents in London, I would like to say a few words about the Tube. I've been on many different transportation systems in my life. It's sort of a hobby of mine. And without a doubt my favourite system is the London Underground. It is the oldest subway system in the world, and also one of the largest. It carries a staggering 3 million people every DAY. Everywhere you go in London, you are always in sight of a tube station. The trains run very frequently, and can take you anywhere you need to go quickly and efficiently. The cars are always clean, the stations well lit. And as a tourist, I am particularly impressed with how well signed the entire system is. Step out of any tube train and onto any station, and you can quickly see signs pointing the "Way Out". Also, if you are transfering to another line, there are plenty of directional signs that lead you though a maze of hallways and corridors. As you approach the platform for your transfer line, there are simple maps that show every station served by each platform. If you are exiting onto the street, most stations have detailed area maps that show buildings, tourist sites, etc. The staff is friendly, and keep you well informed of any delays. All stations have white reader boards that are kept up to date with any problems affecting any of the lines. Londoners like to complain about the Underground, but it is really a superb transportation system. Most major cities in the US could learn a lot from the London Underground. (Are you listening Seattle?) I have a heavy heart tonight over today's attacks, but I'm certain that The London Underground and the people who ride it daily will overcome this, and the Tube will continue to be the best mass transit system in the world. And always remember to Mind the Gap.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEy i love ya lil profile thingy, i like all the pictures u have taken, an what you have wrote about the underground on this one is surperd, like how u also said "remmember to Mind the Gap"
well take care,,
David :)

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home